Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Quandry

I have noticed that while reading a book, magazine, or other multiple page document I frequently use my finger(s) to hold my place at random times for no real reason. I don't usually realize it until I see my finger stuck in between some pages and flip back to see what was so important to find nothing particular at all!

Occasionally I have found myself holding several different spots at once with multiple fingers as if my brain is subconsciously forcing me to look back upon previously viewed information only to uncover nothing interesting at all. This kind of sucks after awhile because I like to think that I would be holding onto important and evocative passages or statements. When I notice myself holding that spot twenty pages back from where I am now I usually imagine that it contains some kind of secret to unlocking the context of the writing or at least a picture of a kitty. It is never any of these things but just a page I absentmindedly stuck my finger in.

Despite my awareness of the futility of my practice I cannot seem to stop myself from doing it. Tourettes perhaps, or just madness? Maybe I just like the surprise of not knowing and the feeling of discovery no matter how trivial. I really have no idea. I do enjoy that my brain keeps me entertained in some fashion without me really trying. Besides, one of these times I am sure to be holding onto something important and I am not going to ignore it just because it usually isn't.

I believe firmly in the above principle. Although I have applied it somewhat jokingly in my context one should not give up on discovering or exploring merely because you have never found anything new or enlightening. Of course this is a lot more applicable to things not associated with the physical sciences as the reason you may not have discovered "Magikmantium" yet is because it does not exist.

1 comment:

Alex said...

I think I do the same thing sometimes. It's curious indeed. Often I find I've marked a sentence I thought to be absurd or enlightening, but rarely does it have any relevance three pages later.

It doesn't happen much, because I hate reading and most of the stuff I read is digital and I just leave a comment box.